Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Attention A T users. To access the combo box on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Press the alt key and then the down arrow. 2. Use the up and down arrows to navigate this combo box. 3. Press enter on the item you wish to view. This will take you to the page listed.
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

Board of Veterans' Appeals


Customer Service

Login to to view or call 1-800-827-1000 for the status of your case!

On this page:
Contact Us  |  Helpful Information  |  Other Points of Contact

Advancement on the Docket (AOD)

As a general matter, the Board is required by law to review appeals in docket order. However, the Board may advance an appeal on the docket (AOD) if the appellant demonstrates unusual hardship such as serious illness, severe financial hardship, or other sufficient cause. 38 U.S.C. § 7107(a), (b); 38 C.F.R. § § 20.800, 20.902. If you would like to request prioritization of your appeal, submit your request in writing to the Board stating the basis for your request, and include supporting documentation to factually demonstrate reasons for advancement. The following are some examples of unusual hardship or other potential sufficient cause, along with recommended supporting documentation (as all motions for advancement on the docket require claim-specific evidence of hardship):

  • Severe financial hardship (bankruptcy petition, home foreclosure notice, statement that the individual is experiencing homelessness);
  • Serious illness (physician’s statement);
  • Advanced age (defined as 75 years or more);
  • Administrative error resulting in a significant delay in docketing your appeal; and
  • Unusual hardship due to a natural disaster such as a hurricane, earthquake, or flood (personal statements regarding the impact of the natural disaster, newspaper clippings, pictures, FEMA declarations, etc.)

Motions for advancement on the docket, along with supporting documentation, should be submitted to the Board in writing at the address or fax number listed below. Please remember to include your name, the Veteran’s name (if different), legal representative (if applicable), and your claim number.

Contact Us

Board of Veterans’ Appeals
P.O. Box 27063
Washington, DC 20038
FAX: 1-844-678-8979 (Toll Free)

Use Ask VA for a status report on your appeal before the Board. In your submission, please be sure to include your name, file number, and specific request. Please note that we respond to submissions in the order in which they are received. We may request additional information to verify identity in order to protect the privacy of our Veterans.

If your claim is not before the Board, please contact your local VA Regional Office (RO) or one of the other Points of Contact listed below.

Helpful Information

If you would like to have a hearing before a VLJ, consider requesting a video hearing. Please keep in mind that a Board hearing is entirely optional and is not necessary for the Board to decide your appeal. Hearings often increase wait time for a Board decision. To save wait time, instead of requesting a hearing, you may write down what you would say at a hearing and submit it directly to the Board. The VLJ assigned to your case will carefully review and consider any statements you submit before deciding the appeal.

Once the Board issues a decision (including a remand), we no longer have the authority to act on the appeal. Please review "Your Rights to Appeal Our Decision" included with your Board decision.  You may also contact the Office of Administrative Review (OAR) via email or phone at 1-800-827-1000, your local RO or your representative (if you have one to advocate on your behalf).  If your residence is in a foreign country, contact the VBA Foreign Service Program.

Other Points of Contact

If you are seeking:

  • Legal assistance with a claim, contact your local RO for a list of Veterans Service Organizations in your area.
  • Copies of your military records, contact the National Personnel Records Center.
  • Information about an upgrade or review of your discharge, complete the application form at Military Discharge Upgrade (DD Form 293).
  • Correction of your military records, complete the application form at Correction of Military Records (DD Form 149).
  • A medal upgrade, contact the appropriate military department Public Affairs Office.

For Information about an original claim for:

To report fraud, waste, or abuse in any VA program, contact the VA Office of Inspector General.

Connect with us

Subscribe to Receive
Email Updates
  • MyVA411:
    1-800-698-2411 TTY: 711
  • Benefits:
  • Health Care:
    1-877-222-VETS (8387)
  • VA Inspector General:
  • Veterans Crisis Line:
    1-800-273-8255 Press 1


  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Blog
  • Youtube
  • Flickr